1. If you know you have a weakness that you tend to give in to, create a plan for what to do any time that you’re tempted. Establish your plan of attack beforehand, so you are prepared and don’t have to rely on willpower alone. Don’t be caught unprepared when temptation strikes. Willpower is a fickle friend who often abandons us when we need her most.
2. If you feel tempted to have some chocolate every time you pass the cupboard, throw all the chocolate in the house into the bin. It is better in the bin than on your hips! Think of it as an investment in your health. And then, every time you pass the cupboard and think of chocolate, grab a healthy snack instead. Replace the routine of a bad habit with the routine of a good habit.
3. As you face each craving or challenge, don’t think about giving it up forever, just think about saying “no” right now and do something positive in its place, e.g. go for a short walk or call a friend. You can create good habits just as you created bad ones. Before you know it, healthy living will become your new habit.
4. Get some healthy substitutes and keep them on stand by in your cupboard or fridge.
- Craving sugar? Have a piece of fruit and Greek yoghurt with a little honey. Or a smoothie. Or try our delicious guilt-free Salted Caramel or Lemon Coconut Protein Cookies.
- Thinking about chocolate? Enjoy a Chocolate Brownie flavour In Shape Mummy Health Shake instead a fattening chocolate bar. Or use the mix to make a slimming hot chocolate or make your own chocolate lactation balls (here's a recipe)
- Can’t get fast food off your mind – Make some home-made potato wedges in the oven with a little salt
5. Healthy substitutes are always best, but if worse comes to worse you can always still eat the "naughty" food you crave, but just eat a smaller amount. For example, don't eat the whole bag of chips.
6. Eat more protein. Protein helps to keep you feeling full and can stop sugar cravings. Try high protein snacks like a handful of nuts, yoghurt, boiled eggs or the In Shape Mummy Health Shake. All of them are high in protein.
7. Be sure to pack a healthy lunch box if you’re heading out. Or have a snack before you leave so you don't get too hungry and make unhealthy choices. Be armed and prepared!
Remember, if you do give in to a craving once and a while, it is not the end of the world. It's more important to look at the grand scheme of things. It's what you do for 80% of the time that will bring you results.