1. As you face each craving or challenge, don’t think about giving it up forever. Just think about saying “no” right now, this one time. And try to do something positive in its place. For example, If you feel a craving for something sweet, go for a short walk or call a friend. You can replace bad habits with good ones.
2. If you feel tempted to have some chocolate every time you pass the cupboard, throw all the chocolate in the house in the bin so that you're not tempted. Think about whether you would prefer it on your hips or in the bin! Think of it as an investment in your health. :)
3. Get some healthy substitutes and keep them on stand by in your cupboard or fridge.
For example popcorn is healthier than chips. For sweet cravings try fresh or dried fruit. Replace soft drinks with sparkling water with a squeeze of lemon.
If you have a weakness for Chocolate, you can enjoy a Healthy Chocolate Smoothie instead a fattening chocolate bar. Simply blend frozen banana, coconut water (or milk), cacao powder and maple syrup (or honey). Add 2 scoops of the In Shape Mummy Health Shake Mix for an extra boost of protein, 25 vitamins and minerals and superfoods to help you Lose Weight and Boost your Energy.
4. Healthy substitutes are always best, but if worse comes to worse you can always still eat the "naughty" food you crave, but just eat a smaller amount. For example, don't eat the whole bag of chips.
5. Eat more protein. Protein helps to keep you feeling full and can stop sugar cravings. Try high protein snacks like a handful of nuts, yoghurt, boiled eggs or the In Shape Mummy Health Shake. All of them are high in protein.
6. If you know you have a weakness that you tend to give in to, create a plan for what to do any time that you’re tempted.
Establish your plan of attack beforehand, so you are prepared beforehand. That way you don’t have to rely on will power alone. Don’t be caught unprepared when temptation strikes. Willpower is a fickle friend who often abandons us when we need her most. Get fattening snacks out of the house and stock your pantry with healthy snacks instead. Keep them handy for when temptation strikes.
7. Be sure to pack a healthy lunch box if you’re heading out. Or have a snack before you leave so you don't get too hungry and make unhealthy choices. Be armed and prepared!
Remember, if you do give in to a craving once and a while, it is not the end of the world. It's more important to look at the grand scheme of things.