Here's a healthier version of Shepherd's Pie the whole family will love. This is one of the recipes from our FREE 12-Week Health & Weight Loss Program.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 55 minutes
- 200 grams lean minced beef or vegetarian beef mince substitute
- 2/3 cup peeled and chopped sweet potato (medium)
- 2/3 cup celeriac
- 2/3 white onion (medium)
- 7 sliced mushrooms (medium)
- 3/4 can tinned tomato
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2/3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2/3 tsp crumbled bay leaf (medium)
- 2 & 2/3 cup chopped broccoli florets
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180C and boil the sweet potato and celeriac until tender, but firm.
2. Sautee the onion in 1tbsp of water as no oil is really needed. Cook until soft and glassy looking.
3. Add in the mince and cook for 10 minutes before adding the mushrooms and broccoli.
4. Cook for 5 minutes longer until the mushrooms are soft and starting to brown a little.
5. Add Worcestershire sauce and stir before adding the chopped tomatoes.
6. Simmer with the lid off for 10-20 minutes until the liquid has evaporated.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Spoon the mince mixture into an ovenproof dish and top evenly with the mashed potato (you could even swap the sweet potato for butternut or other squash or carrot, or use a mix).
9. Bake for 20 minutes or until the potato begins to brown.